Thursday, August 26, 2010

Rocky Road


So, our school year got off to a rocky start. School uniforms are a new thing this year. It is easier for me, but Kai thinks they are so boring. He started school on a Friday (Aug. 6). He only has one friend in his class that was in his class last year. That was tough, too. He expected to see everyone. I appreciate that his teacher moved his seat to his friend's table.
Our very good friend, Shannon from SC, came to Camp Shelby before shipping out to Iraq. We got to spend four days with him while he was on leave. It was so good to see him, but bittersweet knowing he would be in Iraq for a year. Thank goodness for Blackberries.
Leigha stayed with us the whole month of July. Kai loved having her here. He told her everyday that she was his best friend. Saturday, Aug 7, we drove to Birmingham for the weekend to meet Leigha's mom. Saying goodbye to her was hard for him, but seemed ok with the idea that we would visit before next summer, when she comes again.
Monday, I took the day off. I was sitting in the dentist chair having my teeth cleaned, when my cell phone started ringing. So embarrassing, with all the NO CELL PHONES ALLOWED signs posted all over the office. The school called telling me Kai was sick to his stomach. I checked him out early the second day of school. I walked Kai to his class every day until Thursday. Wednesday, I had to leave him standing there crying, again grateful for his teacher with her sweet voice and encouraging words. Thursday, Ben took him to school. Friday, Kai walked right in with no worries on his face. The next Monday, I dropped Kai off and he walked to his class by himself like the pro he is. Yesterday he said, "I love 1st grade!" Praise God. I just dread Second grade. He has to go to the Lower Elementary campus where nothing will be familiar for him. I guess we will jump that hurdle when we get to it.

No comments: