Friday, July 24, 2009

DCI @ USM

I recently dragged Jon to a DCI competition that was held at Southern and I have to say, it really brought back a lot of memories for me. Music was such a big part of my life starting from the 6th grade. I had planned on extending my education so that I could be right in the middle of band 24/7. I sometimes panicked when I thought about it, wondering if all of that music might consume me and I would grow to hate the process of it all. Thankfully, life helped me out and just happened to me. I know how extremely involved I would have been and how much planning and work goes into the execution of a show. My high school band director said once, "A show is never finished, only abandoned." I know how true that statement is and I know how much that would irritate me to no end, not being able to be finished with a project. I know that after having Kai, all of that wouldn't take priority anymore and it would be just another job to me. I am so glad that I can look back and remember mostly good things instead of the other way around. It was nice to just sit back and observe (and leave before the awards ceremony was over-just because we could). A mean, old lady actually made the comment, "These are the people who leave before the football games are over." And I say, with the 14 or so years of experience between the two of us, and the extra "run-throughs" on the football field AFTER the game, I believe Jon and I were entitled to leave early for the first time in our lives. So, for all of you band guys out there, here are the pictures from our event:
FIRST PLACE-BLUE DEVILS (Wasn't really impressed with these guys, surprised they won.)
SECOND-HOLY NAME CADETS (One of my faves.)
THIRD-BLUECOATS (Thought they were just big and loud and thought they would place lower, but what do I know?) (The entire corps, however, did pull off an impressive uniform change mid-performance.)
FOURTH-BOSTON CRUSADERS(Their theme was Temptation with belly dancing and the whole bit. Thought they were trying to distract us with girls.)
FIFTH-PHANTOM REGIMENT (Thought they would've won, but here again, what do I know?)
SIXTH-THE ACADEMY (Had a cool special effect with a looooooooong rope.)
SEVENTH-CROSSMEN (Another of my faves.)
EIGHTH-PIONEER (Seen high school bands better than this)
NINTH-CASCADES (Waste of time, don't even think they got a "Thank you for coming".)

2 comments:

Lyssa said...

So many memories of you, me, a flute, a clarinet, and the roof of your porch. lol Love you lady. :)

Kristen said...

I miss cable when we got to see those on TV. I was always so impressed they didn't all run into each other...cause that's what I'd do.