Saturday, January 3, 2009

Starting The Year Off Right

It seems I go to the hospital for some reason or another once a year. This year, so far, has been no exception. Friday morning I woke up with a dull pain in the bladder area and it quickly worked it's way to excrutiating around lunch time. I first thought I may be pregnant and experiencing a miscarriage so I had Ben run to Rite Aid for a couple pregnancy tests. With pregnancy ruled out, I knew right away it was a kidney stone having had one two years ago only the symptoms were somewhat different. Last time, I ached all day with back pain and then went to the emergency room later that night where they treating me like I was faking and made me wait lying in the floor of the hallway. Praise God for the Doctor that walked by and chewed out the triage nurses who then proceeded to get me into a room. Boy, did that Morphine feel nice, but wore off 30 minutes before they could give me more, in the meantime causing me to say a few choice words to my hubby who felt so helpless anyway. I was kept overnight and passed the stupid thing the next day. Horrible. This time, it all happened super fast and my awesome hubby called an ambulance as soon as I started to feel really bad which was a couple hours after I woke up that morning. He knew I would be put in a room as soon as I arrived. He also made me take a Lortab that I had from my last kidney stone episode and I started to feel much better in the ambulance on the way to the hospital. I was given a very stylish green gown and told I needed to give a urine sample. Lo and behold, I passed it not ten minutes after being admitted and was able to go home before the doctor even came to see me. I was so lucky not to have suffered too badly and didn't even have all the nausea and vomiting I did the last time. I did feel a bit loopy taking a Lortab on an empty stomach so I had to sleep it off the rest of the day. And when it was all over, all Ben could think about was what he was thinking on the way to get the pregnancy tests. I think he wants his own football team!

2 comments:

Kristen said...

I'm so glad you're feeling better. Kidney stones are sooooo awful. I'm glad to hear the medicine helped...I'm keeping the oxycodone in my medicine cabinet (from the c-section) just in case I have another stone. Is that illegal? Well, when you're in that much pain you just don't care.

The Welborn Family said...

Pefectly legal, although Oxycodone from MY C-section did little to help my first stone. :( Get you some Lortab, girl!