So, things have been pretty crappy this past week. I have had a lot on my plate and haven't really known how to deal. My step-daughter, Leigha, is in the 2nd grade this year and is already doing pretty bad with her grades. Her teacher said it was because she wasn't turning in her homework assignments and she had trouble focusing in class. We already knew she may be ADD since her dad is severely ADHD. (They say adults grow out of the hyperactivity part, but Ben has managed to keep his!) Her mom has had all the paperwork to turn into the doctor so Leigha could be evaluated but, for some reason, it hasn't gotten done. So, I decided to step in and do Leigha's homework with her and get her dad on the ball about the paperwork situation. Sometimes I feel like I am the only one that cares if she passes second grade. Well, I called my dad yesterday, because it was his birthday, and he said something that really made sense to me. He said that maybe Leigha needed to fail so she could do it all again and catch up. Lightbulb! Why was I putting so much pressure on myself? Of course, I want her to do well, but maybe she just needs to start over. Somewhere along the way, she has missed something. Wouldn't it be better for her if she got a chance to succeed instead of plodding along year after year barely squeaking by? I am so glad I have my dad to consult with. All his advice is common sense but most of the time I think, "Why didn't I think of that?" So anyway, I am feeling much better about the situation and have learned a valuable lesson. If Leigha does end up failing 2nd grade, it's not because I didn't try and it doesn't mean that I failed her. And who knows? Maybe she will do lots better with homework help and medication. Only time will tell!
1 comment:
You know they always say it's better to hold them back when they're little than when they get to be in high school. I'm sorry--that sounds like a really difficult situation.
Post a Comment